Sunday, August 22, 2010

Scott Pilgrim vs. the World Review

                                                                                
I finally saw this movie, and I feel so conflicted about it. I can express myself better through writing things out, so here I go. I knew what I was getting myself into when I paid $11 admission. Visually speaking, it more than lived up to my expectations. I was impressed with the fast-paced motion of the film that resembled classic video games. I actually felt some childhood nostalgia, and I appreciated that. The fight scenes were choreographed to perfection, and the laws of physics were ignored almost every way possible. I felt like I was watching a Japanese anime, which is specifically designed to shorten your attention span. Again, I knew what I was getting into. The trailer was as transparent as it could be, and I still wanted to see it. I really think this is future of filmmaking, and Scott Pilgrim has set the bar high with it's groundbreaking visuals and head-banging soundtrack.

It's incredibly easy to highlight all of the movie's strong points, but explaining what I didn't like about it is a little more difficult. I tried so hard not to be critical throughout it's 113 minute running time, but I just couldn't help myself. I have never seen a more self-aware romantic comedy in my life. To truly love it requires you to intrude on the movie's love affair with its own self. Honestly, I feel like the script writers tried a little too hard to appeal to shallow, insecure, immature, and ignorant teenagers. I didn't feel like I could relate to any of the characters, because I can safely say that I have more life experience than they do. I have learned so many life lessons since high school, and immaturity is hard for me to tolerate. Pointless drama and gossip annoys me to no end because it is treated like it is of the utmost importance.

Homosexuality played a HUGE role in the movie as well, which doesn't usually bother me. I have an open mind more often than not, but I felt like it was kind of overdone. Not only were the openly gay characters constantly reminding the audience of their lifestyle, most of the females seemed to have more testosterone than their male counterparts. This role reversal was strange to me, and I never really did get used it. Despite all of his badass fight scenes, it was painfully awkward to see Michael Cera try to nervously flirt with his apathetic love interest. I don't think Cera has the capacity to play a different kind of character, and I'm starting to get annoyed by that. I won't be supportive of any more of his work until he officially commits to an Arrested Development movie!!



The Verdict- *** out of *****