Thursday, August 19, 2010

Why I Love Music

Music speaks what can't be expressed, soothes the mind and gives it rest, heals the heart and makes it whole, flows from the heavens to your soul.   

- Anonymous

 

       I know this quote may sound a little corny, but it really resonated with me when I first read it. It is so difficult to articulate how powerful and inspirational music can be. It can trigger so many thoughts and emotions that can lead to complete and utter contentment. All cares and concerns can be so easily forgotten. Unfortunately, your favorite songs only have a limited duration, but it never ceases to amaze me how easily I can achieve a state of total bliss. I get the feeling of invincibility, like absolutely anything is possible. Music can relax, comfort, motivate and invigorate.

 

       Music exists in limitless forms, there are no parameters for creative expression. Serious musicians are relentless in their pursuit of refining their art, even when their fans believe that they have already achieved perfection.  A musician can potentially profit from fame, but loyal and casual fans alike can reap the benefits of a musician's talent and hard work. Whether you pay for the album or not, it can provide hours of enjoyment. Music is the ultimate escape from reality.

 

       I used to think good music required an extremely talented singer/lyricist. While I still appreciate a good voice and well-written poetry, I have come to realize how transcendent instrumental music can be. I discovered the sub-genre of Post Rock while listening to the soundtrack of the movie Friday Night Lights. Ever since then, I have had an deep appreciation for it. Post-Rock is extremely introspective and allows you to think deeply while listening to it. I enjoy it most while I'm studying or driving, but I consider it to be all-purpose music that can be enjoyed at any time or in any mood. Here's a list of some of my favorite Post-Rock songs.... 

 

1. Explosions in the Sky- Your Hand In Mine

 

2. Explosions in the Sky- Six Days At the Bottom of the Ocean

 

3. This Will Destory You- Burial at the Presidio Banks

 

4. This Will Destroy You- Three Legged Workhorse

 

5. God is an Astronaut- Golden Sky

 

6. God is an Astronaut- Shining Through

 

7. Mogwai- Auto Rock

 

8. Mogwai- We're No Here

 

9. Hammock- Breathturn

 

10. Liquid Mind- Whisper To Me

 

      The last two songs in the list fall into more of an ambient category, but I have never listened to more relaxing music in my life. The peace of mind that Hammock and Liquid Mind can give you is incredible. Listen to them if you ever have trouble sleeping or if you feel stressed out.The calming effects are astounding, but that's just the power of music! What kind of music do you enjoy most?